Google Keyword Planner has been one of the top tools in everyone’s arsenal who has tried to build a website. It’s the go-to tool that we all used one time or the other to get search volumes and CPC of the keywords that we were potentially looking to target. But with the recent update that Google made, it has completely destroyed the use of it. Before we use to get a very accurate result of how much a keyword gets searched for. For example the keyword “make money online” with a search volume of estimated “8500 searches” per month would show as it is but now the keyword planner shows a very vague data. If we search the same keyword now, it would show up as “1k – 100k” which completely renders it as useless. It could have 1k searches or 80k searches and it would still display it as a very broad range. And as a result, I have seen countless people completely give up on Google Keyword Planner and move on to paid tools that cost hundreds of dollars every month.
If you were to head over to GKP right now you and search for a keyword like “fashion” you would get something like this –
Well not anymore, I am going to show you exactly how you can your data back to the way it was before. Now there are two ways you can do this and I will explain both in in-depth detail so you can get a completely get passed this issue.
Before I show you how to fix this let me explain why Google did this and from Google’s perspective it does make sense. Originally this tool was meant to be used by advertisers who use Google Adwords to advertise and with the help of this tool they able to determine how many searches a specific keywords and what the suggested bid is for the keyword they want to target. All these data helped advertisers determine whether the keywords they want to target are worth going after or not. Webmasters like us on the other hand completely changed the use of the tool and used it as the primary go-to tool for keyword research so it was likely that Google would do something about it at one point or the other. And eventually, they did and updated the search volume to this vague range.
So How Do We Get Our Old Data Back?
Well, the answer to the problem is the problem itself. You are probably wondering what I mean by that statement. It’s really simple actually, Google made this update people like us who were using the tool for keyword research were affected. The advertisers on the other hand still get the same old accurate data like before. So, all we have to do is become an advertiser. Wait what? That would probably require us to invest hundreds of dollars into Google Adwords right? Nope, you can get your old search volume back with as little as $10 within the next week. Let me show you exactly how to set this up.
Step by Step Guide To Set Up Your Ad –
- First head over to https://adwords.google.com/ and log in with your credentials.
- Click on “create your first campaign” and you will be redirected to Campaign settings page where you will need to choose the basic settings. For the ad type, keep it as it is which is Search Network and Display select. Then for networks keep all the options selected. Then in countries, you can choose any country you like and in language choose English. Then in the Bid strategy change to Manual CPC and put $0.50 as your default bid and also $0.50 budget per day. Don’t select any ad extensions and click on Save and Continue.
- Next, you will be sent to the ad group settings and the first they will ask you for is a landing page. You can put up an actual landing page or just select your facebook fan page like – http://facebook.com/nichetyrant and then in keywords put a bunch of related keywords for your niche. If I were to create an ad for the Niche Tyrant fan page I would put blogging, niche research, making money and similar keywords in there and you should automatically see some suggestions on the right and just select a bunch of them and click on continue to ads.
- Then you will be redirected to the ad creation page and the first thing you will need to put is the final URL which will be your Facebook fan page. After that put in a headline and description, you will see examples of these on the page so just switch them up according to your niche. Then click on create your ad and review the information and publish your ad.
Run this ad for 7 to 10 days and you will get your search volume to the way it used to be. Once your search volume returns to normal, pause the campaign. There is another way your get estimated search volumes and it doesn’t require any investment what so ever.
Alternative Way To Get Search Volume Without Any Investment
First, click on the arrow sign that is on the right for all the keywords you want accurate data for and this will add them to your plan.
Then click on review plan.
There are five things you need to check, adjust, or click in order to get the results you need on this page:
- First, click on the ‘Keyword’ tab
- Click on ‘Match types’ > ‘All’ > ‘Exact match’
- Double check that the date range is set to display forecasts by month (this is very important)
- Enter a bid of $99, as entering a maximum bid will ensure you’re only seeing impressions based on first page results.
- Finally, when you’re ready to go, click on the ‘Get detailed forecasts’ button.
And you are done, the table should update and you will see an accurate impression of the chosen keywords.
You can get accurate search volume with both of these ways. It’s up to you which one you want to try. I hope next time you are doing keyword research you won’t run into any problems with GKP. If you have any questions or have found other ways to get accurate data with GKP do let me know in the comments!